Camp Hanes

My 6th grade class of Durham Academy had a lot of fun at Camp Hanes, although there was a hurricane brewing on the coast of Florida. Early Thursday morning, I woke up and went to school, still tired from yesterday. Once we all got there, we all started boarding the buses and carrying our luggage onto the buses. I boarded bus two, with my friends. The two-hour bus ride was long but not too long. I enjoyed it, talking with my friends, eating candy, and watching movies. Once we got there, we dropped off our stuff at the big gym and headed inside. We played games like four corners and battle master. It was a lot of fun, and soon we were dismissed to go move our stuff to our assigned cabins. I was super excited because I was in a cabin with my friends!

We then got everything ready for our next activities, which for me was canoeing, archery and rock climbing, s’mores, etc. I had the most fun in rock climbing, so I will describe that. We had a huge wall with things to climb on both sides and a huge sky loft on the top, above all the walls. To go up to the sky loft, you had to climb either the pixy sticks or the slanted climbing wall. I climbed the slanted one, and then went down with the pixy sticks. Since you could fall down on the pixy sticks, it was a bit scary climbing down. There were also different levels of difficulty on the climbing wall and overall it was just really fun. I loved the sky loft and the walls. Afterward, my class and I had s’mores, and it was delicious!

Something that I am proud of for this trip was that it was my first time staying away from home excluding sleepovers. I loved everything about it excluding the hike, which sadly I could not go on because of hurricane Ian. I hope that next year I can go to camp again with my friends and class and have a blast!

One Comment